Sizzling Marinated Tofu
Here it is… the sizzling tofu recipe complete with photos taken with a real camera (sorry smartphone)! I had the tofu waiting for something exciting to happen and this is most definitely it! A gorgeous marinade inspired by sweet chilli sauce but with more of a kick :-). Marinate for as long as you can resist eating it (30-60 minutes is good) before sizzling it in the pan. I loved this recipe so much I had to buy some more tofu over the weekend just so I can make it again! My husband even had a second piece and he doesn’t even like tofu! ps: try not to eat it all before cooking it! :-p
- 150g firm tofu
- 15g coconut oil (melted)
- 2 teaspoons (10g) tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons vinegar (use gluten free version if required)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice (lemon juice can be used too)
- 1 dried red chilli pepper finely chopped
- 1 flat teaspoon of coconut sugar (or other sweetener of choice)
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped (or 1 teaspoon of dried garlic salt/granules)
- a good pinch of salt (I used freshly ground sea salt)
- Drain the tofu, squeeze gently and wrap in kitchen paper to get out as much moisture as possible. People think they don’t like tofu because they forget this all important step, but the tofu cannot take on any new flavour if it is full of water!
- In a medium sized bowl (not plastic), mix all of the other ingredients together whilst waiting for the tofu to finish draining.
- Cut the tofu into strips and then into bite sized chunks (approximately 1-1.5cm square).
- Add the tofu to the marinade and mix gently to coat (you can use your clean hands if you are not sensitive to chilli).
- Taste a piece (seriously it’s good) and adjust salt if necessary (remember the cooked taste will be different). Leave to marinade for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat a frying pan until hot (no fat is needed as it’s already in the marinade) and add one piece of tofu to check it sizzles (then you know the pan is hot enough).
- Cook the tofu on one side for 2-3 minutes then shake the pan gently to turn. Continue until all sides are golden brown and sizzlicious!
- I ate mine simply with a green leaf salad.
- Try with your favourite grain – brown rice, bulghur, wholegrain couscous, quinoa.
- Have a big mixed salad.
- Eat with some fresh bread (homemade of course!)