Spicy Bulgur salad
Here is a very quick and easy healthy and filling lunch to prepare! Packed with brown bulgur wheat, avocado, lime and chilli. It is low in saturated fat, full of protein and fibre, contains calcium, iron, potassium, manganese and a load of vitamins such as A, B, C, E, K. This recipe is best if you have some left over bulgur in the fridge which you need to use up, but you can easily make the bulgur from fresh and allow it to cool. Alternatively you could use an alternative grain – think brown rice, freekeh, giant couscous… but on this occasion I chose bulgur!
- 1 avocado (chopped into chunks)
- 5cm cucumber (cut into small chunks)
- 1/4 red pepper (cut into dice + thin strips for garnish if wished)
- Sprig of fresh mint (optional for garnish)
- 1/2 lime
- pinch of hot chilli
- 5 drops of brown rice vinegar
- freshly ground black pepper
- Get one serving of bulgur from the fridge (or cook the bulgur, rinse, drain and cool).
- Mix the avocado, cucumber and pepper into the bulgur.
- Mix the rice vinegar with the lime juice and season with salt to taste.
- Add the ground pepper and chilli and stir well.
- Pour the dressing over the salad.