Chick Pea Curry in a Hurry
This is one of my favourite meals at the minute. I love chick peas. I eat lots of chick peas! They are tasty, easy to prepare and can be used in all sorts of dishes. Chick peas also of course contain lots of protein… in fact chick peas are almost a fifth protein! A massive 19g of protein per 100g! That’s more protein per gram than cheese, eggs, fish (cod) and yogurt! Besides protein, they also contain high iron and magnesium levels and only have 0.6g of saturated fat per 100g! What a fantastic food to keep in the pantry! This is something I cook when I’m very hungry and want to eat immediately! It literally takes minutes to prepare and I can go from thinking to eating in less than ten minutes!
- 400g tin chick peas (I do prefer using dried chick peas but this is a ‘need food now’ meal!)
- 1 onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 bell pepper sliced (red or yellow)
- handful of round beans (can be omitted if you don’t have any)
- 3 cherry tomatoes halved (or 1 regular tomato into quarters then halved)
- 2 level teaspoons mixed-curry powder (adjust to your spice level)
- 1 level teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- slither of coconut oil (or dash of oil of choice)
- 50ml cold water (optional)
- Melt the oil in the pan and add the onion. Cook until it starts to change colour.
- Whilst the onion is cooking, drain the chick peas and rinse well under cold water.
- Add the curry powder, cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt to the onions and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chick peas and tomatoes and stir to combine.
- If you prefer some sauce with your chick peas, add the water and stir (otherwise leave dry as per photos).
- Toss in the beans and peppers and gently cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Taste a chick pea for seasoning (add rest of salt if required).
I generally serve this on a bed of mixed leaves but you could eat it with your favourite grain (try giant couscous, brown rice or freekeh), a mixed salad or just as it is 🙂