Chilli bean lunch pot (DEGF)… Dairy. Egg. Gluten. Free.
With the weather in the UK getting colder by the day I decided that some warming food was needed! This can be prepared in advance and quickly heated up for a filling and nutritious lunch. Alternatively cook it for dinner and serve with a jacket potato and a salad (note to self buy potatoes)! 🙂
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 100ml & 60ml cold water
- 150g black beans
- 1 large dried red chilli chopped up small (remove seeds if you don’t like it too hot)
- 1 large tomato chunked (chunked is bigger than diced, not as neat as cubed!)
- 1 heaped tablespoon frozen garden peas
- 1 heaped tablespoon frozen sweetcorn
- 1/2 lime juice
- scant pinch sugar (I used coconut sugar)
- scant pinch of salt (I used ground sea salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic granules/salt
- 1/2 red pepper chunked (chunked is roughly cubed… technically you can’t cube a pepper!)
- Dry fry the onion in a frying pan. When it starts to stick add about 30ml (half of the 60ml) of water. Continue to cook until the onion starts to brown, then add the remaining 30ml (or thereabouts) of water.
- Add the beans to the pan with 100ml of cold water and stir.
- Add the chopped chilli and the tomato and stir gently. Leave to cook for 5-10 minutes until the tomato softens.
- Stir in the peas and sweetcorn, then add the lime juice. Cook for a further 5-7 minutes.
- Sprinkle the sugar and salt over the top of the pan, finishing with the garlic. Mix through, taste for seasoning.
© Life Diet Health 2015