I think I must get myself a notebook just for recipes! I have in front of me six loose pieces of paper… none of which (I have just realised) have todays recipe on it! Oops! You could have the coconut ball recipe or variations of chocolate mud cake, chick peas, chilli, salad or sesame bites! Tofu! Over the weekend I read an interesting article about soya (tofu is made from pressed soya milk) and the effect it has on your thyroid functioning. The paper was centred around research in Asian countries where soya is added to meals in relatively high quantities and this was correlated to the incidence of thyroid related problems. However, as with everything, ‘moderation is the key’ and I see no cause to worry excessively (or even at all) about these findings. So… get making and munching the sesame tofu! Yum yum!
- 150g brown rice
- 600ml water (boiling)
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon nigella seeds
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 10g coconut oil (melted)
- 2 teaspoons brown rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic granules/salt
- 1/4 head broccoli (chopped into individual florets)
- 200g tofu cubed
- 10g sesame seeds
- Rinse the rice thoroughly then add 600ml boiling water. Bring to the boil and add the cardamom, cumin, nigella and onion. Stir and reduce the heat. Cook for 30 minutes until all of the water has been absorbed and the rice is just cooked.
- In a bowl mix the coconut oil with the rice vinegar, curry powder and garlic. Add the tofu and mix well to combine. Leave to rest while you prepare the broccoli.
- Steam the broccoli for five minutes (taste test to check its cooked how you like it) and add to the cooked rice.
- Tip the tofu into a large heated frying pan (no oil is needed as it is already in the tofu marinade). Cook for two minutes then add the sesame seeds.
Cook until golden on all sides. Add the tofu to the rice and broccoli. Serve!
- Remove the cardamom (if you can see it) and pile on your plates!
- A complete meal in itself but feel free to add salad and/or other veg.
2 thoughts on “Tofu (Sesame) Tuesday! Dairy. Egg. Gluten. Free. (DEGF)”
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you Alice 🙂 A yummy dinner indeed! I love your 4 ways with eggplant ideas on your blog. Ooo… Maybe an eggplant tofu recipe needs creating!?