Ten Minute DEGF Peacorn Soup
Cold? Tired? Hungry? Want to eat something nutritious and yummy in the next ten minutes? That was me yesterday lunchtime and I suddenly had the urge for pea soup! However, my poor freezer only had a handful of peas left and I was really looking forward to soup 😦 but then I saw the frozen sweetcorn and my Peacorn soup was born! It
is was so good! 🙂 Green peas contain fibre, protein and loads of vitamins including A, C, K, as well as several phytonutrients including two almost exclusive to peas called pisumsaponins I and II (‘pisum’ sativum is actually the scientific name for pea) and have anti-inflammatory properties. Sweetcorn is also of great nutritional value also containing fibre and protein with some iron and calcium too 🙂 Mint is the other main ingredient in my Peacorn soup and this has Vitamin A, iron and manganese to add to this fantastic combination. Enough reading…start cooking!
- Frozen peas (a mugful)
- Frozen sweetcorn (a mugful)
- Salt (1/2 teaspoon or to taste)
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper (1/2 teaspoon or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Dried Mint
- Coconut Milk (depends on your mug and pan size but approximately 250-300ml)
- Put the frozen veg in a saucepan and heat gently allowing it to start to defrost.
- Add the salt, pepper and mint.
- Pour in enough milk to completely cover the vegetables and stir to combine. Heat through.
- Blitz in a blender until there is still some bite to it.
- With your favourite bread for a more filling meal.
- Topped with your favourite toppings. I used unsalted pumpkin seeds and cashew nuts.