Quick & Tasty Vegetable Rice
I had so many things to write today, little snippets I’d been saving but now my day has run away with me! This morning we have already had glorious bright glaring sunshine, followed by a giant black shadow throwing down bucket loads of rain, then the sunshine returning almost immediately! Looking outside now I can still see the ice from the bird bath on the grass, the lawn is bathed in sunshine but the sky has a menacing deep purple hue. I think I’ll stay tucked up inside and continue with my Valentines menu ❤ ! Starter and main accomplished… dessert still to play with! I’ll start posting them soon to give you time to think about them before the day arrives! Anyway… rice! Rice is usually served as an accompaniment to other foods (unless you have risotto or paella) but I recall as a child absolutely loving vegetable rice which came frozen in a bag! THIS… this quick and tasty vegetable rice although having a slightly reminiscent taste, is far superior being made of brown rice with some fresh veggies and a delicate flavour. It is of course full of antioxidants, fibre, manganese, selenium, flavonoids and a whole host of vitamins… what’s not to love!
- coconut oil
- 1 red onion chopped
- 50g fresh green beans trimmed and cut into fork sized pieces
- 50g frozen peas
- 50g frozen sweetcorn
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon nigella seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (I used sea salt for this)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 150g precooked brown rice
- 3-5 drops brown rice vinegar
- 3 cherry tomatoes chopped
- In a large flat pan melt the coconut oil and fry the onion until softened.
- Add the green beans, peas and sweetcorn and stir through.
- Add the basil, nigella, salt and pepper to the rice, then add to the pan.
- Stir through the brown rice vinegar and cook through until the beans are cooked to your liking.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and stir to warm through. Remove from heat and serve.
Serving & Storing
- First and most important if you are using pre cooked rice do NOT store this unless you will eat it cold within the same day. Rice must NEVER be reheated more than once!
- Eat on its own as it’s so tasty and flavoursome!
- If you must add something, try having your favourite burger, nut cutlet or tofu on the side (or chicken, fish or meat for those who eat it)!