Breakfast the Dairy. Egg. Gluten. Free. way and the A to Z Challenge
Back to school Monday! So much to do so just a quick post this morning! (maybe)! 😛 Seems though breakfast is the way to kick-start your day and fuel your body up ready for whatever you throw at it, it seems only fair that I should post another breakfast recipe! 🙂 What do you have? cereal? toast? cooked? yogurt? fruit? I used to have cereals most days (and not just for breakfast) but I was finding it increasingly difficult to find tasty cereals without added sugar, salt, colourings, dairy and of course gluten. I just wanted to eat something wholesome and natural which was also tasty and filling! Yes, porridge I hear you! and did you see that lovely blueberry oats recipe I posted the other week! 😛 I know it’s cold out and all that… but sometimes I want something different 🙂 so I made my own granola 🙂 Its crunchy, its tasty, its dairy free and gluten free too. It keeps well (if you can stop eating it) and you can add fresh fruits to it or use it to top your smoothie! Have a look…
- 200g porridge oats (GF if required)
- 40g sesame seeds
- 20g desiccated coconut
- 40g cashew nuts chopped
- 40g almonds chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 80g agave (add a bit more if you like a sweeter taste or if you want larger clusters)
- This is so easy! Put everything together in a large bowl. Mix well!
- Spread out on a baking sheet.
- Bake at Gas Mark 2 (300f / 150 c) for 20-30 minutes checking after fifteen minutes (and to shake the pan if necessary). Please note: This mix will suddenly turn from pale to golden to brown to dark brown! (if you quarter the recipe mix, then only cook for ten minutes maximum).
- Once cooked, transfer onto a cool plate to prevent further cooking.
Serving and storing
- Eat as it is for a yummy “I’m on the way out the door no time to stop” hand food.
- Add your favourite milk (I use unsweetened carton coconut as it’s the nearest taste to the white stuff)
- Top with fresh fruit such as banana, blueberries, raspberries.
- Sprinkle on top of your smoothie.
- Sprinkle on top of ice cream (yes really)!
- Store in an airtight container (ours is in a glass screwtop jar) for up to 3 weeks.
A to Z Challenge… I discovered this when I was reading Lisa’s post on her Basil & Oil blog. The challenge is to post every day in April (except Sundays) BUT with each days topic beginning with the next letter of the alphabet! You then get to visit all these other amazing blogs you might not have found otherwise by visiting at least five a day! Head on over to A to Z Challenge to find out the full rules and to sign up if you’re interested! 🙂 I’m currently entrant number 709!
5 thoughts on “Breakfast the DEGF free… and A to Z Challenge”
Yummy! Seems like a nutritious start of the day! Thanks for mentioning me in your post as well!
LikeLiked by 1 person
You’re welcome 🙂 Love your blog 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
Recently, I also make my granola without oil & I know that cinnamon in it is very fragrant & yummy! And you added ginger , I love that add in too! x
Sophie 🙂 Isn’t homemade granola the best 🙂 Much healthier than the shop bought refined sugar laden, additive laden versions!