Nice ‘n’ Spicy Crispy Aubergine! Free From Gluten, Dairy, Egg.
Another late post after another busy day! I suppose I should really get into the habit of making tried and tested food when I’m in a rush, but I opened the fridge and there were these aubergines! Just looking at me saying “eat me” and “pick me”! 😛 (sorry!) So aubergines it was!
Not overly my favourite vegetable as most cooking methods rely on lots of oil…and lots more oil. However…now! Well… if this is aubergine!!! WOW! This poor vegetable has been transformed in my kitchen into spicy, crispy, most delectable little bites of ‘just-one-more’ 🙂
What did I do? I used that new ingredient of mine.. coconut flour! The spice takes over so you don’t get a really strong coconut flavour, but the flour gives that crispiness. Oh.. and I cheated and used a JAR of spicy paste (gluten free, organic and vegan though)! So… I’ve just realised that the recipe is at home… and I’m now being driven to visit my Mum (It’s Mothers Day on Sunday all you UK residents)! I’ll update the quantities when I get home! 😛 🙂 (all updated now! Thanks for your patience! 🙂 )
- 500g (two medium sized) Aubergines
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2-3 (10-15g) garlic cloves chopped
- 25g coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons salt (I used pink Himalayan)
- 40g balti curry paste
- 100ml water
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 20g coconut oil (for cooking)
- 40g coconut cream
- 40ml cold water
- 60g cucumber
- 2 teaspoons dried mint
- Salt to taste (1/4 teaspoon)
- Chop the aubergine into bite size pieces and put in a large bowl with the onion and garlic.
- Add the flour and salt and using your fingers, mix it all in so all the aubergine is coated and there is no loose flour.
- Mix the paste with the water, cumin and coriander and pour over the aubergine.
- Using a spoon (otherwise you’ll smell of curry for ages), coat all of the aubergine with the mixture.
- Put the coconut oil on a baking sheet
and melt in the oven.
- Tip the aubergine onto the hot oil and toss to coat.
- Cook at Gas Mark 6 (400f / 200c) for 25-30 minutes, then shuffle all the aubergine around and return to the oven until crisp on all sides (another 15-20 minutes).
- Mix the coconut cream with cold water until you have a yogurt like consistency. Stir in the mint and cucumber and season to taste with salt. Serve with the aubergine.
Serve & Store
- Serve the aubergine with the cooling cucumber raita.
- Make a lettuce wrap using the aubergine and raita 🙂 this is amazing!
- Serve as a side to a curry dish.
- Add your favourite grain or bread.