Freeeeee! Free From Dairy. Egg. Gluten 🙂
Good morning! Happy Friday! It’s almost the weekend! and today is the first day in a whole month that I can post whatever I want without trying to contortion it into letter of the day! 🙂 For those of you unaware, for the whole month of April I was partaking in an A-Z alphabet challenge and for every day (except Sunday) I had to post using consecutive letters of the alphabet! So today I can once again look through my photo folders and choose anything I want!!! Oh.. as I’m writing this I’m still thinking! 😛 But whatever it is it will be DEGF (Dairy. Egg. Gluten. Free) 🙂
I was hoping, that today would be a relaxing freeeee day! Followed on by a long weekend (Bank Holiday Monday) and then a more relaxed outlook with plenty of time for completing my studies and getting back in the kitchen to play with chocolate (and cake)! 🙂 Well, that is NOT going to happen as I have now had something else sprung on me to occupy me until mid July!!! So, I will try my best to keep posting regularly but if I miss a few days it means I’m tearing my hair out and staying up all hours trying to keep up! I need ‘me’ (you) time just thinking about it!!!
So, today we have a luscious, creamy, versatile dessert. You can eat it like it is with a dollop of cream and fresh fruit or layer it up to create a fancy looking dessert. Whatever you decide this is one summery dessert which is light and healthy whilst being decadent and full of taste! I am taking this to Angies Fiesta Friday and also to the Plant Based Potluck Party (seems though as I might be to busy to party for the next few months!) 😦
Oh no!!! Who stole my recipe!!! I promise I will look for it and let you know how to make this gorgeous dessert but for now (as it’s getting late in the day) here’s some photos! It’s base is quinoa, with raisins, nutmeg, cinnamon and some other bits baked into a loaf, then sliced and topped with a coconut cream!
Update… so I searched my whole recipe notebook over and over (I must post my caramel chocolate recipe soon!) and checked all the loose scraps of paper but to no avail! So… I made it again! 😛 🙂 It’s either the same or a tad better than the first! Now ‘here’ is what you need! 😛
- 100g quinoa
- 500ml water
- 200g (approx. 2 medium) banana mashed
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 40g raisins
- 60g coconut flour
- coconut cream to serve
- strawberries to serve (or other fresh fruits)
- Dry toast the quinoa in a saucepan, then carefully add the water. Leave for 15-20 minutes until all of the water has been absorbed.
- Add the banana, nutmeg, cinnamon, baking powder, raisins and flour. Mix well. Spoon into a greased or lined loaf tin.
- Bake at Gas Mark 5 (375f / 190c) for 45-60 minutes. The top should be brown and it should be starting to come away from the sides. Don’t expect it to rise – it’s not a cake as such (this means you can open the oven door whilst cooking without it affecting it).
- Cool for 10 minutes in the tin then remove carefully.
- Slice into squares for a whole dessert or into rectangles if you are layering – each rectangle should layer into three pieces. Cool before assembling. Thin the coconut cream if necessary with your preferred milk, pour over the dessert and decorate with strawberries. Use a slightly thicker cream if you are layering the dessert.
Serve & Store
- Fruits, cream or even a chocolate cream! 🙂
- Store the dessert in the fridge for up to five days and add cream and fruit when ready to serve.
- Play with the spices to get your preferred taste.