Cereal bars… Healthy & Free From
Hello all! 🙂 Better late than not at all! 😛 🙂 Another week has flown past and I’ve had even less time to myself than I did previously! I will try to keep posting at least a couple of times a week over the next month but please be patient if I don’t manage that! Please keep liking and commenting and I will ‘eventually’ get round to reading everything! 🙂 Thank you! 🙂
The next five weeks will be a very challenging time… probably the most challenging time I have encountered since my chronic illnesses started! That said, now I know how to manage my health better I am hoping (& praying) that I will use my coping strategies to bounce back quickly 🙂 🙂 🙂 This recipe was created (as a break from all that was going on)! through trial and error (lots of tasting)! with several tweaks along the way 🙂 The result is a tasty cereal bar which is light, delicious and flavourful 🙂 YumYum!
- 20g coconut oil
- 20g date syrup
- 12g maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 60g porridge oats (GF if required)
- 10g puffed rice
- 10g desiccated coconut
- 5g flaked almonds
- 50g (approximately 7) destoned dates chopped
- 30ml water
- 1 teaspoon carob powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- optional toppings for sprinkling:
- sesame, desiccated coconut, flaked almonds
- Melt coconut oil, date and maple syrups with the vanilla in a saucepan. Cook stirring continuously for 5-10 minutes. The mixture will go a deep golden colour. Test to see if it is ready by putting a drop in a glass of cold water.
If it floats and sticks together it is ready – you should be able to pick it up and it will be like toffee.
- As soon as the syrup mixture is ready, stir in the oats, rice, coconut and almonds. Stir quickly until everything is coated evenly.
- Tip into a lined tin and press down firmly and level the top (use a piece of greaseproof paper).
- Bake at gas mark 4 for ten minutes.
- While the base is cooking, put the dates in a pan with the water. Cook until you have a smooth paste, then stir in the carob and cinnamon.
- Take the base out of the oven and carefully spread the date mixture thinly over the top.
- Sprinkle over toppings of choice (coconut, nuts, seeds).
- Leave to set for 5 minutes then carefully remove from the tin and cut into bars.
- Allow to cool for a further 30 minutes then munch away!
Serve & Store
- Fresh from the oven these are crispy and have a slight crunch.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Pack in a lunchbox, a picnic or have as a snack when travelling.
- Eat as a healthy snack anytime! 🙂