Marmite! and free from quick & easy hidden veg bread!
Before you say ‘hate it!’ (or maybe ‘what? if you’re not from the UK) and think not to read on, let me assure you that this is not actually a post about marmite! Sorry marmite, you know I love you! 😀 This is a ‘marmite’ simile! In the UK the bold marketing campaign for marmite (a rich savoury spread made from yeast extract) is ‘love it’ or ‘hate it’ hence this is where my post title comes in!
I have realised that there are, generally speaking two types of people when it comes to food! Those that will listen… and those who most definitely won’t! When I was vegetarian people would always ask ‘why?’ and then say ‘someone is going to eat the sheep anyway, so why not you?’ and for about 27 years I would simply reply ‘because I choose not to, but I don’t mind if you do!’ 🙂 Being vegetarian and intolerant to dairy brought a whole host of other questions – namely surrounding calcium – which of course we all know doesn’t just come from cows but is also found in green leafy vegetables, dates, broccoli, sesame and a whole range of other plant based foods including fortified plant based milks! Anyway, since changing my diet to promote health-giving benefits of increased vitamins, minerals and antioxidants in an attempt to rid my body of the daily pain and exhaustion felt constantly, more questions were inevitable!
I have mentioned before about labels and as such I still don’t have one for myself, but my diet is vegan whilst also being mainly gluten and refined sugar free. I like to think of it as a wholefoods, plant-based diet but that confuses most people although this appears more socially acceptable than the term ‘vegan!’
Vegan! What’s in a word! This is where we come back to the marmite! Like-minded people; those into healthy eating; vegetarians; those on a calorie or fat restricted diet – these are the ‘marmite’ lovers! Everyone else? They have no time to even LISTEN let alone to try to UNDERSTAND! For those of you who are vegan… how many times have you heard ‘but you need protein?’ or ‘what about calcium?’ and my favourite ‘what DO you eat!?’ Lol 😛 😀 as if there is no other food in the world except that which is from a dead animal or a by-product of!
Too much writing for now! I will continue later this week! 🙂 For now here is a DEGF (Dairy. Egg. Gluten. Free.) recipe which is so good that I’ve made it three times (different variations) this week already! 🙂
- 50g soaked weight cashews (cover with water and soak overnight, rinse well, drain)
- 50g sweetcorn (I used frozen)
- 50g courgette
- 35ml milk (I used unsweetened carton coconut)
- 50g porridge oat flour (GF if required)
- 1/16 teaspoon salt (I used pink Himalayan)
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Simple this one – blitz the cashews, corn, courgette and milk in a food processor.
- Add the oats, salt, paprika, baking powder and soda and mix.
- Pour onto a baking tray about 2cm thick, level and bake at Gas Mark 5 (375f / 190c) for half an hour.
Serve & Store
- Eat hot from the oven with your favourite spread.
- Cool and use as a sandwich – delicious vegan cheese recipe coming soon!
- Dip into your favourite soup (watch this space for a great filling & warming soup coming soon).
- Heat in the toaster, split and… add marmite! 😛
Gather Prepare Serve & Store
Free From Quick & Easy Hidden Veg Bread
Serve & Store