Vegan cream cheese!
In my last post I was talking about two types of people. It’s funny isn’t it, when you least expect it that you meet the nicest of people! Twice in the last week I have ‘just happened’ to come across such people! If you are reading this, then yes, I am probably talking about you! 😀
Isn’t it great when you can talk to a relative stranger or a complete stranger and find that you share common interests? Something – such as food and health, that you are both passionate about and can exchange knowledge and ideas. Discussions such as these remind me that it is important to continue to keep experimenting in the kitchen creating new and delicious recipes which are great for our health.
Today’s recipe I’m very excited about. As with several ‘new’ ingredients which I have started using, cashews – unless roasted and salted, possibly with a dash of black pepper were something I’d never really considered as being ‘essential’ in my kitchen. Raw cashews – that is the plain uncooked unflavoured variety are not something I particularly like to snack on but OH MY GOSH they are such a useful ingredient to have! This recipe was another trial and error in the Life Diet Health kitchen and I am SO happy with the result!
Vegan cream cheese! You probably guessed that one of the ingredients will be cashews! 😛 Soaked cashews to be precise! Just cover the cashews with cold water and leave overnight. In the morning, drain, rinse, rinse and rinse some more! Your light, creamy, protein and mineral packed base of your delicious vegan cheese will be cashews. I will eventually get to experiment with different flavours and I have already thought of making little vegan cheese balls covered in crushed nuts, but for now… here is a vegan sandwich filler, potato topper, cracker spreader or salad enricher! Enjoy!
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon linseeds (I used mixed golden and brown)
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 100g pre-soaked cashews (well drained)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1/16 – 1/8 teaspoon salt (I use pink Himalayan)
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- Blitz the chia and linseeds until crushed, add the 3 tablespoons of water, mix and put aside to soak.
- Put the cashews in a food processor with the yeast, salt, paprika, mustard, arrowroot, lemon and 2 tablespoons water. Process until smooth adding more water if necessary until you have a completely smooth mixture.
- Add the chia and linseed mixture and process again until combined.
- Transfer to a saucepan and heat gently stirring continuously until you get a smooth glossy batter. Continue heating until the cheese starts to form a solid ball and the consistency stops changing.
- Immediately spoon into a ramekin (this made 1 large, 1 small) and smooth the top.
- Put in the fridge for 1-2 hours until relatively firm. Remove from the ramekin and store wrapped in the fridge.
Serve & Store
- Always keep covered in the fridge. Stores for at least a week.
- Spread on bread (try these) for a delicious vegan sandwich filler.
- Add to a baked potato for extra protein.
- Try on crackers.
- Use to top a fresh salad.
Gather Prepare Serve & Store
Vegan Cream Cheese
Serve & Store