Happy New Year & Tasty Free-From Potato & Leek Soup
2016 is here! Today is the day for all those new year resolutions to start! If I’d been writing this post ten, maybe even five years ago then I would be thinking top on your list would be dieting, less junk food, giving up drinking or smoking. Now with the advance of technology I’m guessing less Facebook time, less tv, less gaming, more exercise, more travel and more reading? 🙂
Okay, so maybe you are thinking of dieting!? But maybe not in the sense of losing weight but in the sense of becoming healthier! Perhaps you have decided that you will give up processed or refined foods, maybe gluten is not your thing anymore, you want to eat less carbs or possibly you have decided to partake in Veganuary?
Here’s a delicious recipe – healthy, vegan and easy! Resolutions or not this soup will go down well with everybody! 🙂
Happy & Healthy New Year Wishes to you! 😀
- oil or stock (I used coconut oil)
- 3 medium onions diced
- 3 large leeks chopped
- 1 whole garlic chopped
- 1kg potatoes peeled and chunked
- 1.5 litres boiling water
- 1-2 teaspoons salt to taste (I used pink Himalayan)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 250 milk (I used unsweetened carton coconut)
- Melt the oil (or use stock method) then fry the onions until brown. Add the leeks and cook until browned before adding the garlic.
- Stir in the potatoes until just starting to brown then cover with the water.
- Sprinkle over salt and pepper, add the bay leaves and allow to cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Mix in the milk and allow to cook for a minute before adjusting seasonings if necessary. Remove the bay leaves.
- Ladle batches into the blender (be careful as it’s still hot) and blend until creamy. Return to the pan and stir through – leave some of the potatoes whole.
Serve & Store
- Spoon into bowls and top with your favourite toppings – I used sesame seeds, flaked almonds, paprika and chopped chives.
- Serve with your favourite bread – I made quick oat flatbreads.
- Top with some fresh rocket or spinach.
Gather Prepare Serve & Store
Potato & Leek Soup
Serve & Store