Chickpea, Sweet Potato and Spinach curry (Vegan & Gluten Free)
Oh yes delicious! 🙂 This one is just for you Mum! 😀 Not that you read my blog (or anyone’s for that matter) but I might tempt you to read this on your i-pad! My Mum is a vegetarian 🙂 and has been for oh so many years – it started when we went on a family coach holiday in 1980-something! Apparently it was much too difficult for all of the hotels in Switzerland, France, Germany, Austria, Liechtenstein and wherever else we went through to cook a vegetarian meal ‘just for me’ , so my Mum (bless her) said she was vegetarian too! Mum and I were the envy of the whole coach every evening, with our lavishly prepared gorgeous dishes! By the end of the trip, everyone wanted to be eating our colourful varied dishes instead of their lump of meat and potato! Anyway, my Mum is STILL vegetarian to this day!!! 🙂 So, back to this dish! Mum said she’d had a lovely meal out with a friend and I decided to recreate it… it worked perfectly – dairy and gluten free of course! This is a fabulous combination of flavours and textures, not too spicy and also full of protein, iron and calcium. It also contains plenty of potassium, magnesium and vitamins A, B6 & C. Another delicious but nutritious meal! 🙂
I’m sharing this @Angie’s Fiesta Friday this week, co-hosted by Sonal @simplyvegetarian777 and Laurie @ ten.times.tea 🙂 Hope to see you there! 🙂
- Dash of oil (I use virgin coconut oil)
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 whole cardamon pods
- 1 dried red chili
- 5 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon kulonji seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 150g (1 medium) sweet potato peeled and chopped
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas drained
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 200ml milk (I use unsweetened carton coconut)
- 100g fresh spinach rinsed
- 1 tablespoon coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon flaked almonds
- Melt the oil and cook the onion until translucent.
- Stir through the whole spices – cumin, cardamon, chili, cloves, kulonji and fenugreek.
- Add the chopped garlic.
- Throw in the bite sized raw sweet potato pieces and cook through for ten minutes. You may need to add a small amount (50ml) of water at this stage.
- Stir in the chickpeas.
- Sprinkle over the powdered spices – ginger, turmeric, curry, coriander and cumin. Mix to distribute them evenly.
- Pour over the milk, stir to combine then cover and leave for ten minutes.
- Put the rinsed spinach on top of the curry and allow to wilt down.
- Add the coconut and almonds, give a final stir and cook for a further two minutes.
Serve & Store
- Serve with brown rice or your favourite grain.
- Scoop up with poppadum’s.
- Add your favourite chutneys and relishes.
- Store covered and refrigerated for up to three days.
- Can be frozen for up to one month (seasoning may need adjusting).
Vegan curry, rice, poppadums and relishes.
Colourful & flavoursome vegan curry.
Chickpea, sweet potato and spinach curry.