What’s quicker than take-out? Cheeky Chickpeas!
Do you love the lighter brighter evenings? Do you find yourself having dinner later and later? Well, last night hubby decided he wanted very hot curry (to get rid of a headache)! Realising that it was already 6.30pm (we have dinner at 6pm on a school night) he rang his favourite take-away. Did I want anything? Hmmm… choices! 🙂 Tarka dall, bhindi bhajee, cauliflower bhajee, chana masala, saag aloo… NO! 😛 Even though it would mean no cooking (and no washing up!) I suddenly realised that I would much prefer my own! Seriously! 😀 It would have everything in that I liked. I could make as much as I could eat (with extra for today). I would know precisely what was in it without having to say no dairy (ghee) and no wheat AND it wouldn’t be swimming in oil! 😀
So hubby ordered while I went in the kitchen. It was quick. It was easy. It was tasty. AND it was ready a long time before the take-out arrived!!!
I used the spice mix ‘panch puran’ which is available in most Asian supermarkets – it translates as ‘5 spice’. Panch puran combines fenugreek, nigella and cumin seeds with mustard and fennel seeds so you could easily just substitute all (or some) of these instead. 🙂
Cheeky Chickpeas (Vegan & Free-From)
- Oil of choice
- 4 tomatoes diced
- 1 tablespoon panch puran
- 2 teaspoons cajun spice
- 2 teaspoons tumeric
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 x 400g tins chickpeas drained
- 8-10 kale leaves in 1cm strips (end stalks removed)
- Salt to taste (I used pink Himalayan)
- Heat (or melt) the oil and add the tomatoes. Cook for a minute until softening then add the panch puran and cook for a further minute.
- Add the cajun, tumeric and curry and stir well. Add the chickpeas and gently mix to combine. Leave to simmer for five minutes.
- Do a taste test and add salt as required.
- Stir through the kale and leave to cook for 3-4 minutes. Ensure it doesn’t dry out completely and add a splash of water if necessary.
Serve & Store
- Eat with your favourite grain.
- Serve up with crunchy poppadoms.
- Add a mixed salad.
- Use as part of a meal with a selection of other dishes.