Hooray! It’s Barbecue Time!
Finally the sun came out for a gloriously sunny weekend! We should really have been planting the garden or the allotment up but it was just a bit too sunny to do any hard work! 😛 So, instead we had a barbecue… or three! 😀 Good job we took advantage of the sunshine as it now seems to have vanished back to where it came from and even though at the weekend temperatures here reached a remarkable 28c (82f), it’s now around 11c (52f) and hail and rain is expected!
Anyway, you can be dreaming of these and when you can make them if you have our weather! or, if you’re fortunate to still have barbecue weather where you are, get making these right away! 😀
I’ve said it time and time again, but just in case you missed it, or you are new (welcome!) tofu is what you make it! Yes, it comes in a pack full of water! If you try and cook it like that of course you won’t like it! That was the mistake I made for several years! When I learnt how to cook tofu properly…well, some of them would sell out immediately if I packaged them up! 😛
So, have a look over here and check out how to make the best tofu, then follow this recipe and you’ll have yourself some totally delicious kebabs that are not only tasty but healthy too! YumYum! 🙂
Vegetable & Tofu Kebabs (Vegan & Free-From)
- 1 x 400g block of tofu
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (I used turmeric & cinnamon flavoured)
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke (or soy sauce + 1 tsp smoked paprika)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Vegetables of choice such as: courgette, aubergine, onion, mushroom, sweetcorn
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Cajun spice
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Drain the tofu, then press to remove all the liquid.
- Put the oil, tahini, apple cider vinegar and liquid smoke in a bowl and mix well.
- Cut the tofu into cubes and add each cube to the marinade, turning to coat all sides.
- Sprinkle with the sesame seeds then leave to marinate for 15-30 minutes.
- Chop the vegetables into bite sized pieces, place in a large bowl, drizzle with the oil, add the Cajun, Italian herbs, salt and pepper, then mix well by hand massaging the oil into the vegetables. Set aside for 15-30 minutes.
- Carefully thread the tofu and vegetables onto skewers – mixed or whole skewers of each to your liking.
- Place on the barbecue for 10-15 minutes turning regularly to cook each side and prevent burning.
Tips & Storage
- If you like your vegetables spicier, try using a chili oil, or adding 1/2 teaspoon flaked chili.
- Swap the tahini for your favourite nut butter – better still, use a spoonful of both!
- Make the tofu marinade earlier than needed and allow the tofu to marinate in the fridge for up to 8 hours.
- Try some vegetables you don’t usually eat – they taste different barbecued!
- Store any leftovers in the fridge covered for up to three days.