Baked Butter Beans. Vegan and gluten friendly!
Yum! Can I just leave it at that! 😛 🙂 These are flavourful, warming and moreish! DEGF as usual (Dairy. Egg. Gluten. Free.) and perfect for these chilly nights which have suddenly jumped up on us!
Oh and before anyone notices… these baked beans aren’t cooked in the oven but on the stovetop! ‘Baked beans’ sounds so much better than ‘braised beans’… but I do have a traditional ‘baked’ baked bean recipe to post soon! 🙂
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons tomato puree
- 500ml boiling water
- 400g butter beans drained
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- salt to taste (I used pink Himalayan)
- Optional fresh basil leaves to serve
- Melt the coconut oil in a large pan and add the onion. Lightly fry until translucent, then add the garlic and cook until softened.
- Stir in the tomato puree and mix with the onions stirring for a couple of minutes.
- Carefully add the boiling water mixing with the puree to give a uniform liquid.
- Add in the beans followed by the pepper, paprika, herbs, maple and salt.
Mix well, cover then reduce the heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes. They are ready when you have a lovely thick sauce. Scatter over fresh basil (if using) just before serving.
Serve & Store
- Serve as a main meal with your favourite grain (quinoa, rice, millet etc.)
- Serve as a side to a yummy loaf (or anything else)!
- Eat cold as part of a mixed salad.
- Make a selection of mezes such as these and include these beans.
- Eat with flat bread such as these!
- Keep refrigerated for up to five days.
Gather Prepare Serve & Store
Baked Butter Beans
Serve & Store