DEGF Warming Winter Lentil Soup
This recipe is one that is frequently made in our house and yesterday when I went in the kitchen I could smell the luscious lentils which my husband had decided to cook for lunch :-). This is a very easy recipe and the resulting dish is a nutritious meal packed full of protein, dietary fibre, iron, phosphorus and magnesium… DEGF too so suitable for everyone!
- 300g red split lentils
- 1-2 litres boiling water
- 1 onion diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Put the lentils in a large saucepan. Wash the lentils under the tap and rinse off any dusty residues.
- Heat the pan gently, then cover the lentils with boiling water (the water should be about 1cm above the lentils).
- Add the diced onion to the pan and stir. Add the salt.
- Add more water as the lentils expand, always ensuring they are completely covered. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- When the lentils have changed colour and the soup is getting thicker, stir to check the consistency. Add more water if necessary. Stir again.
- Do a quick taste check for lentil softness and seasoning. Add pepper. Ladle into bowls!
Serve on its own for a filling lunch 🙂
Eat with bread of your choice
Have a plate of sliced tomato and cucumber to eat between spoonfuls
Stir in some ready cooked brown rice (or other grain of choice)
I also like this cold straight from the fridge! :-p delish!