Breakfast Blueberry Style (Dairy. Egg. Gluten. Free.)
🙂 I know you all know how to make porridge (It generally says how on to the packet)! but I thought I would have a little experiment just to see if I could come up with a foolproof – ‘need to make this again’ recipe! 🙂 If it’s cold outside and you need something to warm you up, if you need an energy boost to get you going (no caffeine here), if you want something filling to see you through until lunch or if you just want to see if this ‘IS’ really as good as I’m saying… give this a go! You won’t be disappointed! 🙂 Oh, and of course, it is full of fibre, protein, thiamine (for a healthy nervous system), iron (for oxygen-carrying red blood cells), magnesium (for healthy bones and nerve & muscle function), phosphorus (also for strong bones), zinc (for immunity), antioxidants (for free radical removal) and… I could go on with all the health benefits of this little bowl – probably write a whole post about its benefits ❤ but lets cook instead! 🙂
Gather (serves 1)
- 50g porridge oats (GF if required)
- 100ml unsweetened (carton) coconut milk
- 50g unsweetened apple puree
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 20g blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 5g (approx. 5) almonds – sliced
- extra coconut milk for serving
- Put the oats, milk, apple and cinnamon in a pan and heat gently while stirring.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir the blueberries through (if frozen-the heat will defrost them very quickly).
- Sprinkle the almonds over. Serve.
- It is ready to eat as soon as it’s cooked.
- Serve with additional milk (if you’re accustomed to eating it with something cold!)
- If you must…a sprinkle or drizzle of sweetener (it really shouldn’t need it)