Savoury mousse… and it’s vegan!
Good morning! 🙂
I still have loads to do but quickly wanted to share this lovely recipe with you! This was one of my three recipes which were made from the same base – you already had the dessert (chocolate dessert), this one could be a starter, used as a dip or a tasty addition to a main salad. One still left to post which is my favourite of the three (I think 😛 ) but for now have a look at this light summery creamy mousse… yumyum!
When I made this dish, my avocado was too hard to even get out of the skin let alone mash into a dip, so I baked it in the oven on Gas Mark 4 (350f / 180c) for 45 minutes. This made the avocado softer, creamier and avoided the need to add lemon juice to prevent browning. Please feel free to use raw avocado (add a teaspoon of lemon juice) in this dish but note that the end result will be slightly different!
- 100g (1 medium) avocado
- 100g silken tofu (pressed & drained)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (I used pink Himalayan)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 20g cucumber diced
- 20g red pepper diced
- 80g (1 medium) tomato diced
- Bake the avocado, remove from skin and pop in a blender (you can alternatively mash by hand).
- Add the tofu and blitz together until fully combined and smooth (this will take longer by hand but is possible).
- Mix in the salt, paprika, coriander and black pepper.
- Stir through the cucumber, red pepper and tomato (with the juices). Combine thoroughly and chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
Serve & Store
- Serve as a starter in a bowl of salad. Sprinkle with sesame and poppy seeds for extra taste!
- Use as a dip for crudités – cucumber, carrot and pepper sticks go great with this.
- Add it to a mixed salad maybe with some houmous and cashew cheese dip.
- Spread it on some bread to make a great sandwich.
- Keeps in the fridge for up to five days!