Chickpeas in less than ten minutes
Don’t you just love quick meals! 🙂 Sure you could stab a microwave meal and ping it for five minutes. You could even grab something from the freezer and throw it in the oven for ten minutes. I’d rather make this! 😀 Chickpeas are almost a staple in our house – they’re full of protein and contain iron, magnesium, potassium, manganese, copper and B Vitamins as well as calcium. What’s not to like! 😀 Oh, and if the houmous crisis has hit your local supermarket as it has here – why not make your own! These chickpeas are great when you’ve more important things to be doing OR if unexpected hungry guests turn up! 😀
You might have noticed my liking for chickpeas 🙂 Have you tried these delicious spiced baked chickpeas with aubergine or this chickpea, spinach & sweet potato curry? I hadn’t had chickpeas for a while and it was a sudden decision to cook them when my husband said ‘our dinner is ready, what are you having?’ By the time the table was set and their dinner dished up, these chickpeas were ready! That’s how quick and easy these are – and they actually take ‘less’ than ten minutes too! 😀
Chickpeas in less than 10 minutes (Vegan & Free-From)
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon cajun spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 3 cherry tomatoes halved (or 1 regular in 1/8’s)
- 1 cup water
- Salt to taste if required (I didn’t add any)
- Drain the chickpeas and pour into a shallow pan.
- Sprinkle over the cajun, cumin and cloves and cook through for two minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree and cook for one minute. Add fresh tomato and stir through.
- Pour over the water, mix through and cook until you have a thick sauce.
- Season to taste if required.
Serve & Store
- Try with your favourite grain – corn couscous takes less than ten minutes.
- Scoop up in lettuce leaves (little gem are great for this).
- Use as the base for a wrap with mixed leaves and yogurt sauce.
- Serve on toast with a side of avocado.
- Store refrigerated for up to three days.