Well, the weather has definitely started changing now. Oh we still have blue skies and a bit of warmth in the morning – yesterday was even 17 degrees centigrade and demanded sunglasses, but come late afternoon it got chilly! Almost put-the-heating-on chilly!
What’s the perfect warming food… soup of course! This is filling, flavoursome and relatively easy to make and best of all, it was made for me! 😛 Thanks hubby! 😀 😛
I hope you’ve all been having a fab week and have got back into some sort of routine post Summer holidays! 🙂 🙂 🙂
Seasonal Soup (Vegan & Free-From)
- 1.5 cups split red lentils
- 1.5 litres boiling water
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper
- 500ml tomato passata
- 5-6 medium potatoes peeled & diced
- 1 carrot chopped
- Oil of choice (we use coconut)
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 x400g tin red kidney beans
- 1 x 300g bag beansprouts
- Wash the lentils then put them in a large saucepan and cover with the boiling water. Bring back to the boil then turn down and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir the passata into the lentils then add the potatoes and carrot and cook for a further ten minutes.
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan and cook the onion until just starting to brown (you can cook it more than this is you prefer – as hubby does)! Once cooked, stir into the soup.
- Add the kidney beans and cook for ten more minutes.
- Check for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Check the potatoes are cooked through.
- Tip in the beansprouts, mix in and leave to cook through for five minutes.
Serve & Store
- Serve hot with crusty bread.
- Use as a starter or a main.
- Try with a side of fritters.
- Add a spoonful of freshly cooked rice or pasta just before serving.
- Have some salad on the side.
- Store refrigerated for up to five days.
Bowlful of goodness